If you meet certain requirements you may be eligible to obtain a Japanese driver’s license with simplified testing procedures.
The procedure involves submitting certain documents (listed below) to determine your eligibility. Once they are approved there will be a vision and color recognition check, after which there will be exams to test your knowledge of the driving rules and driving technique.Eligibility Requirements.
- Have a valid foreign driver’s license
- Have lived in the country that issued the license for at least three months after the license was issued
- At least 18 years of age
- Hold a valid visa to stay in Japan
- Be registered as a foreign resident at your local city, town, or ward office
After passing the driving test your license will be issued on the same day; first your picture will be taken, then you will pay the fee and receive your license
- Inspection of documents – followed by vision and color recognition check
- Knowledge test – this is usually a ten question true/false test; seven correct answers are required to pass
- Driving test – a test of skills on an enclosed course at the License Center
- License preparation
Please make a note of below
1. You should translate your drivers license issued in your country to Japanese. You can contact http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/switch.htm for the procedures for translation