A community platform for all Indians !! - Indians in Japan


Application for the Certificate of Eligibility

What is Application for a Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence?

Application for a Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence is a certificate when inviting someone from overseas and making him/her stay in Japan for long period of time. Those who come to Japan for Sightseeing, Business Meeting, Visiting a Relative have to apply for Temporary Visa (15days, 30 days, 90 days). A Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence cannot be issued for those purposes. It is often applied for purposes such as those listed below.

1.Want to invite a worker in overseas to Japan and employ him/her.

2.Want to invite my spouse to Japan and live together.

3.Want to invite my child(ren) to Japan and live together.

 For a person from overseas to land in Japan in principle it is necessary to present a valid passport with a visa issued on certain conditions by a Japanese Embassy or Consulate, to an immigration officer and to have his/her passport endorsed by stamping for landing permission at a seaport or an airport. This series of actions is called the procedure for landing. There are basically 2 types of procedures before entry to Japan.

1. A person in overseas applies directly for a visa at a Japanese Embassy/Consulate.

Issue of a visa which allows long period of stay in Japan for a purpose of work or other is discussed by a Japanese Embassy, then by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and finally by Immigration Bureau. Visa issue takes time because the Immigration Bureau decides and replies to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs whether to grant the visa on the basis of the result of Investigation.

2. Apply for a visa at a Japanese Embassy/Consulate after obtaining the “Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence”.

The applicant him/herself, the accepting company, the relative in Japan, or a Gyoseishoshi Lawyer lodge an application form for a Certificate of Eligibility of Status of Residence to an Immigration Bureau of the region where the applicant’s future address or the accepting company locate. In this case it take about 1-3 months for issue of a Certificate of Eligibility and 1 week for visa application at a Japanese Embassy.

Application for Certificate of Eligibility

Add comment