Updated on 2018/July/4
Below are the license renewal procedures I have noted down when renewing my license recently
Documents to be carried
1. Your drivers license
2. The renewal notification postcard (not mandatory)
3. Glasses (no contacts)
4. A 3cm x 2.4 cm picture taken within the last 6 months (not necessary if you renew at a drivers license center)
5. Your alien registration card / residence card (gaikokujin toroku shomeisho外国人登録証明書)
6. Your seal (inkan 印鑑) (Not mandatory)
8. Juminhyo (registry of current residential addresses maintained by local governments in Japan) You can get this from ward office. Please note that Juminhyo should reflect your current address and the residence card number should match in Juminhyo and the residence card.
1. Collect ticket from the ticket vending machine. You have to enter a 4 number pin 2 times and the pin code will be printed on the ticket. Pin can be any number of your choice.
2. Submit the current license, renewal notification letter at the next counter near to the vending machine. They will issue an application form. You have to fill in the name, phone, date of birth. In case you like to change address, the new address can be mentioned in the form.
3. You will be directed to another counter where you have to pay the fees. In my case for first renewal, I paid 4000 JPY
4. You will be redirected to another counter where you have to check your eye sight
5. After eye test, provide the form to next counter where they will put seal etc
6. Take photograph at next counter
7. Go to lecture hall (2 hrs for first renewal). Very useful lecture with 10 mts break in between and 15 mts video lesson too.
8. Collect your new license
9. Next you have to acknowledge the license receipt by Scanning the the license to a machine and entering the pin you have created in step 1
You are done with your license renewal !!
Started at 8:30 and finished at 11:30
Notes: even though I carried a photograph, I have not used it. I don't carry the renewal notification letter.
Where to renew?
Fuchu Driver's License Center
3-1-1, Tama-cho, Fuchu-shi
Samezu Driver's License Center
1-12-5, Higashi-Oi, Shinagawa-ku
Koto Driver's License Center
1-7-24, Shin-Suna, Koto-ku